Resource Date: 1879
Record Office: Â© Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies
Record Office Location Number: 87575-7
Photographs of the dedication of the Wade Mill Memorial to Thomas Clarkson in 1879.
Relevance: In 1833, Basil Montague asked Thomas Clarkson to show a party of abolitionists, the exact spot where he decided to dedicate his life to ending slavery. A young Charles Merivale went with them. Years later he became Dean of Ely and told his story to Arthur Giles Puller, of Youngsbury, who offered to help him fulfil his promise to mark the spot. Charles Merivale unveiled the monument on 8th October, 1879.